Monday, February 12, 2007

For Love or Money


Some of the most dramatic issues for the creative soul boil down to the question "for love or money, or the love of money". It is quite clear that I crochet for love. My mother taught me to crochet when I was seven years old, and I've been at it every since. I never finished anything other than a potholder until my junior year in college. I made a scarf, and I did that out of love too. My first 5 or so projects were things that I made for other people. I never charged any of them a dime because they were people I loved. I have yet to make a dime off of my crocheting, and it may not happen anytime soon. I believe in swapping items with other crocheters, gifting items, and making them for charity. I never make things with the intent to sell them, but now that I'm in the habit of creating things just because I can, the idea is seeming oh so appealing. Let's just put it like this, I crochet for the same reason that most athletes started to play their sport and that's because I love it; like most athletes I don't have an issue with the concept of being paid for doing what I love. That said it's all about the love, joy, and fun but money is nice too. (the picture above is not my work, just a relevant image.. I might try my hand at it though)

0 comments:

Post a Comment